Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:02:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Christian E. Hopps" <chopps@merit.edu>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: namespace pollution (if_list)

<<On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:52:44 -0500, "Christian E. Hopps" <chopps@merit.edu> said:

> Is this the position of FreeBSD?

No, this is my personal opinion.  I didn't say anything about whether
or not it will be changed in FreeBSD -- I'll leave that up to whomever
made the original change.  I'm simply pointing out that many headers
internal to the operating system have their own peculiar namespaces
and users should not expect to be able to use those namespaces with
impunity.

To expound a bit further, and in a different direction: to the extent
any user program includes <net/if_var.h> at all, either the program is
broken, or the system is.  There should not be any information in
<net/if_var.h> that user-mode programs have need to access.  It will
make it more likely that your problem can be fixed if you tell us just
what data structures, precisely, your program is using from that
header.

-GAWollman