Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2006 03:14:39 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make index failing on chinese/acroread5-chsfont

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:09:23 -0800
Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 03:01:32AM +0200, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > root@it> /usr/ports/mail/nail [2:59:34] 0
> >  # ll /usr/ports/chinese/ | grep acro
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Feb 23 07:33 acroread-zh_CN
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Feb 23 07:33 acroread-zh_TW
> >
> > remove that directory and ask yourself what did you do to have it there.
> >
> > Perhaps rm -r /usr/ports/* and cvsup again
>
> I don't think Mr. Symonds "did anything to have it there".  It's on
> all of our system as well, and is not being deleted via cvsup.  I
> believe this is normal behaviour (for cvsup).

cvsup(1):
     delete      The presence of this keyword gives cvsup permission to delete
                 files.  If it is missing, no files will be deleted.

                 The presence of the delete keyword puts cvsup into so-called
                 exact mode.  In exact mode, CVSup does its best to make the
                 client's files correspond to those on the server.  This
                 includes deleting individual deltas and symbolic tags from
                 RCS files, as well as deleting entire files.  In exact mode,
                 CVSup verifies every edited file with a checksum, to ensure
                 that the edits have produced a file identical to the master
                 copy on the server.  If the checksum test fails for a file,
                 then CVSup falls back upon transferring the entire file.

                 In general, CVSup deletes only files which are known to the
                 server.  Extra files present in the client's tree are left
                 alone, even in exact mode.  More precisely, CVSup is willing
                 to delete two classes of files:
                 o   Files that were previously created or updated by CVSup
                     itself.
                 o   Checked-out versions of files which are marked as dead on
                     the server.

Does any of you has that key-word in the ports cvsup file ?

> Does using portsnap solve this kind-of dilemma at the core?

Yes, rather drastically: it removes any local file that is not in CVS.

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

BOFH excuse #389:
/dev/clue was linked to /dev/null