Date:      Sat, 30 May 2009 21:30:03 +0200
From:      Johan Kuuse <kuuse@redantigua.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org out of sync? (was: "make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC fails")

> Message: 14
> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:59:10 +0200
> From: Lorenzo Perone <lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net>
> Subject: Re: cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org out of sync? (was: "make buildkernel
> 	KERNCONF=GENERIC fails")
> To: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
> Cc: stable@freebsd.org
>
> On 29.05.2009, at 13:06, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > On 2009-May-27 00:42:52 +0200, Lorenzo Perone
> > <lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net
> >
> > > wrote:

> >> same here too... a few mins and hours ago.
> >> with cvsup5.de.freebsd.org as well...
> >
> > This is a not-uncommon problem with lots of CVSup servers.  edwin@
> > maintains a statistics page at
> > http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/ that is worth studying - it
> > shows that cvsup.de.freebsd.org is badly out of sync, though cvsup5
> > should be OK.
>
> cool work... I'd think of a small script to use that page
> for wrapping csup and passing on the best and nearest available
> mirror (for that of course, plain text/xml output would be
> great)... :)
>
> in any case, at least a $FreeBSD$ tag check would be cool in csup:
> sometimes it can have quite destructive consequences to get
> an outdated source...
>
> Lorenzo

Suggestions for a small script:
Hack the Perl script
sysutils/fastest_cvsup
which currently uses a hard coded hash for %FREEBSD_SERVERS
Instead, the script could parse
http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/cvsup-stats-global.php
and use only "green" servers for the %FREEBSD_SERVERS hash.

Johan