Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:15:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Johnson <spatula@gulf.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crash recovery

I had a disk crash, but only lost 200 or so sectors.  I am limping this
drive along until my replacement disk comes.  The new disk is of the same
type and configuration.

The drive in question has an evil operating system on the first partition
and FreeBSD on the second.

Here is my plan:

dd if=/dev/wd0 of=/dev/wd1 bs=128k
bad144 -s /dev/wd1s2

Then reboot, cvsup, and make world on the new drive to replace anything
that was lost.

The problems I forsee:

1) dd may not copy over the partition information (not a big deal, as I
can always partition the new drive exactly like the old one)
2) bad144... does anyone know if it will replace the old bad sector table?
dd will most likely copy over the bad sector table, which will be invalid
for the new disk.

If anyone can shed some light on these issues, please drop me a note.

  Nick

--
"A child can go only so far in life without potty training.  It is not
 mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty