Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:45:32 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libtermcap and elf :(

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>

> > Every time I tried to install elf  /usr/src/lib , I get this:
> >
> > ===> libtermcap
> > install -C -o bin -g bin -m 444 /usr/src/lib/libtermcap/termcap.h  /usr/inc
    lude
> > install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444   libtermcap.a /usr/lib
> > install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444     libtermcap.so.2  /usr/lib
> > ln  -sf libtermcap.so.2  /usr/lib/libtermcap.so
> > /usr/lib/libtermlib.a -> /usr/lib/libtermcap.a
> > /usr/lib/libtermlib.so.2.1 -> /usr/lib/libtermcap.so.2.1
> > ln: /usr/lib/libtermcap.so.2.1: No such file or directory
> > *** Error code 1
>
> I had this and made this patch.  It seemed a bit hacky so I never
> mentioned it:

I have a zillion patches to various Makefiles and bsd.*.mk.  The bsd.*.mk
is quite a severe impact change since it removes bsd.own.mk from sys.mk
and moves them to the start of things like bsd.prog.mk.  I would have
moved /etc/make.conf as well, but that was just too painful yet.

Why, you ask?  Two reasons..

1: some makefiles *need* to be able to override the binary format.. eg:
a.out rtld needs to be build in a.out mode regardless.  eg: libgcc.a needs
two versions, one a.out, the other elf.

2: hanging all this stuff in sys.mk causes a huge amount of pollution to
the default make environment, even when not using a bmakefile.  This is
bad.  The pollution should only "appear" when using a makefile that
mentions something like bsd.prog.mk or bsd.lib.mk etc.

However, I have not been able to get a peep out of the people that I've
asked to look over them.  I'm tempted to commit them as-is, but I know
that it's going to break things and will require some mopping up.  (Some
mught ask: So what else is new? :-] )

Cheers,
-Peter
--