Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:03:59 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Steve Bernacki Jr." <steve@ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any Success w/ Hitachi VisionBook PRO?

> Hi everyone,
>
> I received a Hitachi VisionBook PRO from my employer yesterday.  All
> excited, I downloaded the 2.2.7.1 boot floppy from freebsd.org and tried
> it out.  Right before doing this, I booted into Windows and took note of
> the ethernet card: a "AMD PCNET family" card.  I did a quick search of the
> mailing list archives and got wind that there has been limited success
> using this card with the Lance drivers (lnc).  So, I booted the machine
> with the boot floppy and saw the following message:
>
> pci0:11: AND, device=0x2000, class=network (ethernet) int a irq 11 [no
> driver assigned]
>
> Grumble.  It sees the hardware, but refuses to bind the lnc driver to it.
> My roomate has the same identical laptop running Redhat v4.2 with no
> problems -- it identifies the card as "PCNET/PCI-II 79C970A at 0xfcc0,
> assigned irq 11".

Ted Faber <faber@isi.edu> has a patch that makes it work on his Hitachi
system; I've been talking to him just recently about this in order to
see if we can't make use of it.

What we *really* need is for someone to come forward and write a new
driver for the PCNET devices, because our current driver really isn't
up to snuff.