Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:10:56 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cheap cheap 4mm tape drive wanted

michael dorin writes:

> Where can I find a really, really, really cheap 4mm tape drive
> that FreeBSD will be happy with?

http://www.onsale.com sometimes has good deals on good 4mm drives. Got
to be very careful with these guys as they will picture an external
drive when selling internal, or they'll use the picture of a 4mm for a
QIC-3080... etc. Read the text carefully. Research pays. I bought (3)
Seagate/Conner/Archive 4326RP's from them for $289 each recently. 8G
DDS-2. Very nice drive, SGI is shipping the Seagate CDT8000 (current
generation of the 4326, my 4326 actually has the 8000 P/N on it too)
with their high end stuff and has been using Seagate/Conner/Archive
drives for a long time.

http://www.basoncomputer.com also usually has good prices on DDS drives.

http://www.corpsys.com has had good prices on DDS drives in the past
but I haven't seen any in the past year. Their web site could stand
enhancing as they don't provide enough info about a component to
inspire me to order one. They do mail 4-color catalogs fairly often.

After chewing up two WangDAT 3100's I've always been happy with the
Archive drives. And I was very happy when Seagate shipped the SCSI
programmer's guide for free when I asked for it.

This is my 4326:
(ahc0:5:0): "ARCHIVE Python 28388-XXX 4.CM" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(ahc0:5:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13,  drive empty

And this is my QIC-9130, mostly used for QIC-150 compatability:
(ahc0:6:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st1(ahc0:6:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty