Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:04:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net, terry@lambert.org, dufault@hda.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Audible ping response changes to ping.c

> Well, I can take the sed and sh alternatives as an indication that I
> should remove the -z flag from tar, but I think I'll just put the -a flag
> into ping.

The case for the z flag in tar is the installation media argument
when bootstrapping a new system to run FreeBSD for the first time.

Also, the z flag runs an external compressor/decompressor.  By that
logic, you should call an external "beep" program if you are trying to
justify adding the flag using "the "rule of similar existing practice".

8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---