Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:48:21 -0500
From:      Matthew Kolb <muk@msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quota/FS problems

Hello current@

I am having a problem with one of my machines running -CURRENT
srcs from Nov. 5

The machine is acting as an NFS server.  It crashed around the 12th or
so with a Softupdates deps error which is maybe what started all of
this.
(no I do not have the crash dump, but I will do my best to get one if it
happens again).

The slice that puked (/dev/amrd1s1e	)was fsck'd and remounted on
reboot.

I had not noticed problems with the slice until I tried to apply quotas
to it.

I added options QUOTA to my kernel, enable_quotas="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
and rebooted.

I then did an edquota on a proto user (quota).  I subsequently ran
edquota -p quota 1050-999999
which created a large quota file:
thompson# ls -sk quota.user
         /maildirs
31264 quota.user

I then rebooted again for good measure (and to make sure
quotacheck ran)

when I ran repquota -a however, I was suprised to see incorrect values
for
fs usage:

thompson# repquota -a | head -3 --
                 ~
                                 Block  limits                    File
limits
User                   used     soft     hard  grace     used    soft
  hard  grace
12071           --       52    65536    67584      -        4       0
     0      -

thompson# ls -l
/maildirs/1/7/12071
total 2
drwx------  10 12071  1024  512 Sep 13 17:12 Maildir/

thompson# du -sh *
/maildirs/1/7/12071
  62M    Maildir

so, I decided that I should unmount the slice and run quotacheck on it
by hand, which i did:

thompson# quotacheck -a
quotacheck: bad inode number 1 to nextinode
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
/dev/amrd1s1e (/maildirs)

I then tried to fsck -fF /dev/amrd1s1e
which acted normal (reported no errors, nor any fixing)

Then, quotacheck again, with the same results as before.

So...I tried turning off softupdates with tunefs -n disable; fsck'ing;
quotachecking again, and again, same results.

Thanks for reading this far, if you haven't given up yet, hopefully you
can help
me.  I really don't know what is going on, and after searching the
archives
I turned up nothing helpful.  Is there something about Softupdates, and
quotas?

dmesg and fstab are at http://www.msu.edu/~muk/thompson/

Is my disk just hosed? If so, why isn't fsck saying anything?  Any help
would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

./muk