Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:04:03 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Fafa Diliha Romanova <fteg@london.com>
Subject:   Re: MAJOR DISFUNCTION! Computer reboots instead of booting FreeBSD!

On Saturday 25 December 2004 06:11 pm, Malcolm Kay
<malcolm.kay@internode.on.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:39 pm, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:
> >    Dear all of you,
> >

> >    My computer (HP Compaq DC7100) refuses to boot to FreeBSD. It
> > enters the
> >    in the bootloader and the computer reboots! What kind of
> > behavior is thi
> >
> >    I'm aware that some UNIX systems need a patch to work on this
> > type of co
> >    [1]http://www5.
> > itrc.hp.com/service/patch/wrap.do?pageKey=patch.jsp.archiveJump&adm
> >i t
> >
> >    But in my case, what do I need to do? Disabling ACPI in the BIOS
> >    doesn't
> >    I'm informed (when I reinsert my S-ATA HD) that if I'm running
> > UNIX, I s
> >    But guess what? There are no such options. Believe me I've
> > looked.
>
> Your computer seem to have more problems than the inability to boot
> FBSD.
>
> It seems the moths have nibbled away important parts of your query,
> so for the most part I find it unintelligable.

I am not sure what happened, but it looks like there was a problem with
MIME and/or the stripping of it, so some (seemingly) random equal signs
were inserted in the message, making it look like blank space after
that in those lines of text in some MUAs. Anyway, here's what his post
looks like without the garble:

--
Dear all of you,

My computer (HP Compaq DC7100) refuses to boot to FreeBSD. It enters
the MBR, I then select FreeBSD in the bootloader and the computer
reboots! What kind of behavior is this, and why won't it give FreeBSD a
chance?

I'm aware that some UNIX systems need a patch to work on this type of
computer:

[1]http://www5.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/wrap.do?pageKey=patch.jsp.archiveJump&admit=552267591+1103976356811+28353475

But in my case, what do I need to do? Disabling ACPI in the BIOS doesn't
work.

I'm informed (when I reinsert my S-ATA HD) that if I'm running UNIX, I
should enable it in the BIOS.

But guess what? There are no such options. Believe me I've looked.

Does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks.

Dr. Galvin Hobbes @ FTEG