Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:07:47 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Centralized user/group/whatever management

--6lXr1rPCNTf1w0X8

Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2020-03-13 um 15:31 schrieb Doug McIntyre:
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 04:19:23PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > > Do you think there exists a modern solution for centralized user/grou=
p/...
> > > management compatible with FreeBSD and Linux?
> >=20
> > I think the best combination is probably a Windows AD setup, with
> > FreeBSD/Linux clients attaching to it. (Although I still do external DNS
> > importing the AD objects into it, really can't stand windows DNS).
> >=20
> > This does work really seamless, the GUI tools are well utilized.
> >=20
> > It really gets you the hard part (LDAP, Kerberos) in a pretty easy to
> > use package. I don't know how many hours I've spent on OpenLDAP
> > getting it to work with things, and management packages for OpenLDAP
> > are pretty sucky overall.
>=20
> I agree here with Doug, as strange as it sounds, Samba is your best bet.
> When you provision your domain you shall enable the POSIX extensions. It
> will create all GECOS stuff. pam_winbind is also nice.

So pam_winbind it is, if you want to use AD for user/group management?
Does winbindd not crash any more under FreeBSD?=20

Do you need to also enable winbind somehow in nsswitch.conf?=20

>=20
> One must simply admit that Active Directory is a wellthought system not
> just for Unix. You may join your machines either with Samba, more easily
> with msktutil (disclainer, I am a maintainer) with works flawlessly on
> FreeBSD.

I'll certainly look at it if I have to integrate FreeBSD into Windows AD.=
=20

However first I'd like to find a free, open source solution for a
Unix-only office. Hope it will not eventually come to buying a Windows
server to manage Linux and FreeBSD workstations.

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

--6lXr1rPCNTf1w0X8