Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:31:11 +0200
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        Craig Boston <craig@xfoil.gank.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dsp "device busy" (me too) vchans weirdness

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:46:09AM -0600, Craig Boston wrote:
> I remember a couple of posts about this problem; but don't recall (and
> am unable to find in the archives) if there was ever any resolution.

I have experienced the same thing. I have tried vchan sound on three
-current boxes and it works on all but the Dell. The Dell also have
the ICH2 sound while the other two have different sound chips. Maybe
it has something to do with the ICH driver or else I was just lucky
with the other machines. On the Dell have tried setting vchans
directly and maxautovchans, but neither did work for me. I did see
this on the console though:

######
lock order reversal
 1st 0xc87d5b00 pcm0:virtual:0 (pcm channel) @ /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/sound.c:191
 2nd 0xc5d99a80 pcm0 (sound cdev) @ /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/sound.c:163
######

Just switching vchans off on the Dell made the sound work again.

> Anyway, this just started on a RELENG_5_0 box this morning -- been
> working fine up until now.  I noticed that /dev/dsp wasn't being cloned,
> so I went about trying individual devices...
>
> $ esd -d /dev/dsp0.1
> - using device /dev/dsp0.1
> /dev/dsp0.1: Device busy
>
> $ esd -d /dev/dsp0.2
> - using device /dev/dsp0.2
> /dev/dsp0.2: Device busy
>
> $ fstat /dev/dsp0.0
> $ fstat /dev/dsp0.1
> $ fstat /dev/dsp0.2
>
> $ cat /dev/dsp0.3
> cat: /dev/dsp0.3: Device busy
>
> etc...
>
> I've double checked and there is NOTHING running that's touching any of
> the sound devices (which the fstat confirms).  Oddly enough, when I was
> randomly 'cat'-ing sound devices, one of them returned "Operation not
> supported by device".  It only did this once, and then went back to
> "Device busy" every time after that.
>
> $ dmesg | grep pcm
>
> pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> port 0xcc40-0xcc7f,0xc800-0xc8ff irq 10 at
> device 31.5 on pci0
> pcm0: measured ac97 link rate at 55934 Hz
>
> $ cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> at io 0xc800, 0xcc40 irq 10 bufsz 16384
> (1p/1r/4v channels duplex default)
>
> $ sysctl hw.snd
> hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
> hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
> hw.snd.verbose: 1
> hw.snd.unit: 0
> hw.snd.maxautovchans: 0
> hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize: 16384
> hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 4
> hw.snd.pcm0.ac97rate: 55934
>
> I'm not using maxautovchans because that seems to cause random reboots
> on this hardware (happens with two Dell towers, both with the ICH2
> chip).
>
> Even weirder still, during the course of writing this mail, dsp0.[1-4]
> have spontaneously started working again.  0.0 still reports device
> busy, though that may be normal since the vchans are active.  I was
> going to try changing the number of vchans to see if it had any effect,
> but since it's working for now I'll try that next time it happens.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org