Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 11:11:15 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: Nits

>When I do a make depend all install, it seems to be rebuilding
>ALL of the binaries.  Is this normal expected behavior, or just the
>result of the make world changing the times of the libraries when it
>installed them?

Both.  Unless you define INSTALL as `INSTALL -C' to avoid clobbering the
times of unchanged installed files.  The libraries change a lot anyway,
but relinking all the binaries doesn't take long, so no one has been
annoyed enough to fix this or the bogon that dynamically linked
executables don't actually depend on the static libraries.

>Also, A couple of warnings in -current when building.  Not a big deal,
>but I thought I'd point them out in case this is something broken.
>This is as of ctm 2238.  The warnings from handbook are new between
>this and my last build with July 11ish sources.

Only the ones for line 6788 and 26767 are actuall new.  The others are
in my May 5 log which wasn't much different from my October log.

The libss and mk_cmds warnings are new.  The ones for mk_cmds are caused
by cleaning up libss.  ss_internal.h no longer declares malloc(), but
mk_cmds depends on it being declared there.

Bruce