Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:13:19 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Active advocacy [Was: Re: Guess we've lost the server market  too...?]

"John S. Dyson" wrote:
> > You should have recommended FreeBSD, and when his friends start
> > asking, try to get them to switch.  Your actions follow suit
> > with the lack of advocacy you're complaining about.  Sheeple
> > logic doesn't work.
> >
> I care more about my Dad not getting frustrated than I do
> about FreeBSD.  Maybe he doesn't want to be a pioneer (which
> he doesn't.)  Each problem needs a different solution, and
> there are still cases where I would tell a friend to use
> WinNT, because I care about them.  To me, it is an issue of
> honesty, and support.

Had you recommended FreeBSD, and he had grown frustrated or shown a
lack of interest, you would have been able to say that you had at
least tried and offered.  Instead you made a judgment based on
perception, not real truth.  Don't feel bad, it's a common mistake
when dealing with those close to you, you wouldn't want to draw lines
in the sand.  But you could have told your father to give it a shot
and, if he didn't like it, you would be happy to help him setup the
OS of his choice.

> > (I think this should also go to -advocacy, but I'm not going to
> > cross post unless people think I should.)
> >
> I never know the right thing to do in that area... Someone will
> likely redirect it.

I already got nailed for it once, and it put a knot in my stomach,
making me feel like I had really blown it.  So from now on I'll let
others make the decision to cross.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available