Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:22:46 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   unexplained strangness with cucipop pop3 daemon

For some (yet to be unexplained reason), cucipop  has (twice now),
somehow locked the /var/mail/<some-user-name> files, and is apparently
not erasing the message and exiting. Therefore the next time a user
checks email (every two minutes from Outlook) they get another copy of
the same message(s). The problem does not stop, (while making some users
download the same message >200 times), until cucipop is restarted
manually.
	For obvious reasons, this is becoming a big problem. This is the second
time this has happened in two weeks now, and luckily while the majority
of the office was not in. What I need to do is find out what's causing
it, and/or why. Someone earlier had replied explaining that maybe the
system was running out of file-lock resources. So I re-compiled a new
kernel with maxusers set to 256, started the system back up, and it ran
since Monday morning to Saturday morning and started with the problem
again. I've since then re-started cucipop, and things seem fine for now.
	The strange part is that we've changed nothing for months now, (cept
the username of one particular UID), and it had been working fine for >
70 days prior to this. (Would be like >150days, cept that we took it
down to upgrade server hardware/install freebsd 4.2-stable) The machine
is running an old(er) snapshot of 4.2-STABLE, and I wonder if FreeBSD,
or cucipop has a problem in it? I figure maybe cucipop (like some radius
daemons) has some memory leakage or something and must be restarted
cylically?
	Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or otherwise would be highly
appreciated at this point.

Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.