Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:16:02 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   serial console vs ttyd0 vs cuaa0

I just wrangled an exploration of a serial console under 2.2.7-R,
and noticed an anomoly:

Well, the serial console did work right off, once I put '-P' in
/boot.config.

What I ran into was during my efforts to also run getty on ttyd0,
so that I could freely make use of either the video console or the
tty port with relative freedom.

What I found:

Without getty, if I simply hung the terminal off of the serial
port, I could, as root, type:

	# cat > /dev/cuaa0

and I could get output _to_ the terminal.

If I typed:

	# cat /dev/ttyd0

I would get no input _from_ the terminal, but

	# cat /dev/cuaa0

_would_ ?!  Did I miss something?

I had thought that ttyd was for incoming connections, and cuaa was
for outgoing connections.

For a workaround, I changed /etc/ttys to attach getty to cuaa0.
But, that flies in the face on convention.

_If_ I have muntant hardware (a Dasher 211 and a homespun cable),
why did the serial console work to begin with?

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Current daytime number: (603)-434-6842