Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:42:21 -0400
From:      Friedman <friedman@emax.ca>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DL380 G4 Disk status lights

Thanks all for quick reply.

Soren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you provide any additional info on how your raidset is configured
> (raid levels, disk assignments etc), and what you did in what order (moved
> raidset to a new machine - while turned on/off - disks one by one or at the
> same time).

There had been a pending failure reported in the ILO before this
incident.

All disks were installed in the same bays in the the new machine before
power up.  da0 is raid 0 mirrored system disks da1 is 3 raid 5 + spare
Rebuild completed successfully (status ok) and machine is operational.

> (the following answer assumes you're using my check_smartarray script from
> http://soren.klintrup.dk/proliant/ - output is similiar).
Correct.  Thanks for this.  I have it on cron at 5min intervals and although
it occasionally reports "unknown state" it is the only info I have on the
running system.

> A status of rebuilding indicates that the raid controller is rebuilding
> mirror/checksum data, during this process you should not perform any
> additional changes to the raidset (exceptions can apply), this will return
> to a status of "ok" after some time (this can take hours or days depending
> on disk sizes and raid levels).
See above.  Rebuild occurred immediately after initial boot of the new
system - there may have been raid activity but no changes to the configuration
during the rebuild.

> My guess would be that drive bays 0, 1, 2 and 3 is configured in a raid5
> with a hotspare, and the system is currently rebuilding disks 0, 1 and 3,
> with disk 2 either being flagged as a new hotspare or tray/bay is broken.
>
> But for now wait until the rebuild is done to avoid data loss.

I assume it used the hotspare for the rebuild and bay 2 is now in need
of replacement.  The only way to know for sure would be to reboot and
enter raid configuration mode which I am trying to avoid.

Edwin wrote:
> If Bay2 is configured as your hot spare its fine, the red lights are
> activity, the green is disk ok in raid. Bay 5 should be confirured
> active in the raid, but has no activity, might be a boot disk and all
> logs on data disks

Thanks for this information.

> So basicly how did you configure them to act?
See above.

Regards,
--
Barry Friedman
Emax Computer Systems Inc., 480 Tweedsmuir Ave., Ottawa, Ont. Canada K1Z 5N9