Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 07:42:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <spidey@jsp.umontreal.ca>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Jean-Francois Bigras <bigrasje@jsp.umontreal.ca>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using a DTC 3181x SCSI card under FBSD.

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Doug White wrote...
> > On Sun, 30 May 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> >
> > > Spidey wrote...

> > > There's no driver that I'm aware of for those boards.  Unless that board
> > > can emulate a supported card, you're out of luck.
> >
> > Er?  DTC usually uses NCR chips, I thought. 81X sounds like the NCR part
> > number (810 or 815).
>
> Hmm, I didn't realize that.  Well, if that's the case, the best thing to do
> is just try the card out and see if it works.

Ok then I'll try this... I guess I must include something like:

controller ncr0

in my kernel, right?

> It might help if you can figure out what kind of chip is on there.

How do I determine this? I think I sent to the list the physical details
of the card, but here they are again...

On the box, there's a sticker with:
"Model no.: UDS-IS11 PC/ISA
            P/N:970160-16"

There's another sticker with "1003005" on it.

On the card itself, there's a sticker with "REV: A S/N: H6808100377" and
it is written

"DTCT 436P
 9747
 002-D436P-001"

On a chip.

Otherwise, how can I determine what's the chip? How can I probe it?

> The DTC 3130 is listed as supported by the NCR driver (in the handbook
> and release notes), and from the DTC web site, it appears that that card
> has a Symbios chip on it.

Yes, I remarked that it was mentionned in the handbook, but there was no
associated driver. I found it weird that the handbook doesn't say which
driver supports which card. anyways...

> As for their other products, I have no idea
> whether they'll work.  (They certainly don't come right out and say what
> sort of chips they use.)
>
> Is this a PCI or ISA card?  What sort of chip is on the board?

ISA. What  do you mean, what sort of chip?

> If it is an ISA card, the two ISA cards listed on DTC's web page claim that
> they're 100% compatible with Adaptec 1510/1520 boards.  If that's what you
> have, you're out of luck, since the aic driver hasn't been rewritten for
> CAM yet.

Darn... Well that's still better than no compatibility at all! :)

I cc this to a friend who's got the same problems with the card, but on
Red Hat... He's moving to FBSD anyways... :))

thanks for all your support! It's greatly appreciated!

--
Un éducateur dans l'âme ne prend rien au sérieux que par rapport
à ses disciples -- soi-même non excepté.