Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:11:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating world with least downtime

> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:40:31 -0500
> From: "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> At 01:26 PM 8.30.2002 -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 03:07:14PM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> >> Yes, that's what I do after taking an image of the drive and also using the
> >> "build box" as the first test to see if everything works okay. Downtime is
> >> only a matter of seconds... riskier, yes, but acceptable with the image to
> >> fall back on. Dropping to the single-user mode causes a downtime of about
> >> 30 minutes otherwise on a 1.4G CPU machine... longer on slower machines.
> >> Everthing is now done via scripts.
> >
> >If it's taking that long, it's got some serious problems even with the
> >rediculous post times many boards have today.  My laptop (with 3400RPM
> >disk) takes <15.
> >
> >-- Brooks
> >

> I don't believe your laptop does installworld, mergemaster, etc all in 15
> minutes.... we must must be talking different things....

For a modern system and a reasonable disk, this is trivial. I have a
system which MUST not be down for over 15 minutes and I can do it
quite easily unless I really fumble something in mergemaster. I do
always merge a few files later and tend to install most changes very
quickly, having ode the same upgrade on a non-critical system just
before I do the critical one so I know what to expect.

The actual installworld time on my 1GHZ system is about 5 minutes
(5:34 last time).

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)