Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:49:44 +0000
From:      "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Long user names

Hello,

I've been charged with the implementation here at my company of a
company-wide single-sign-in (or login), much like MS Passport is. The
problem is that the designers decided to use the "global" usernames of the
form <user>@<domain>. For instance, my network username would be:

    jon@noc.example.com

The rationale is very simple: give the users a login name they can remember,
make them "pretty" and human readable, and, above all, make them unique. You
know, we actually have jon@example.com and jon@noc.example.com, so both of
us need unique usernames. The designers wanted to have the email addresses
for login names, not something like jlarssen21...

Given the limit on FreeBSD 16 characters per username can anyone give me a
counter proposal to those system designer guys? (I admit that the whole
email-address-as-username looks good, but I think I'll have trouble
integrating it into the network.) I'm very open to ideas at this point.

Best regards,
Jon.

PS. How is this related to FreeBSD? Because in a couple of FreeBSD servers
we'll have the company-wide user directory (replicated LDAP), email services
(SMTP & IMAP) and a Squid cache/proxy. Oh, this is a 96% Windows based
network.