Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:32:57 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no echo console

In message <16756.1248.574545.815252@ran.psg.com>, Randy Bush writes:
>>> Ahh, that's different then.
>>> I'll hunt this one down tomorrow.
>>
>> Can you try this patch ?
>
>did, but it did not fix the problem.  did a simple portupgrade.
>when it finished, i typed "ls," which was not echoed, but i got
>the output of the command.  issued "reset" command.  now it
>echos again.  sorry.

I must be missing something, I can't reproduce it.

Your tty should not be opened and/or closed after a portupgrade,
so I'm not really sure I understand what's going on.

If portupgrade fiddles your echo setting, it should of course reset
them.  [t]csh takes a very dim view of applications doing this and
resets the terminal mode for each prompt (a good thing, since that
also works for apps which core dump).

So first I'm wondering how this can have anything to do with my changes,
(not that I doubt it has, I just can't see the connection) and second
I'm wondering if there is a bug in portupgrade which tcsh covers for
us which we ought to look at as well.