Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:08:20 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mount floopy disk

At 12:53 PM 11.5.2002 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:29:45PM +0000, Tiago Andre wrote:
>> I like to know how do i mount my floopy disk i try:
>> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
>> and
>> mount /dev/fd0c /mnt
>> but the anwser is incorrect super block
>
>These are DOS format floppies?  The best advice is "don't bother
>mounting the disks".  Just install the emulators/mtools port, which
>lets you use DOS-like commands to access the floppy:
>
>    mdir a:
>    mcopy filename.txt a:
>
>etc.  This has a number of advantages over actually mounting the
>floppy:
>
>    - you don't need root privilege to use mtools
>
>    - you can eject and swap floppy disks at will, without
>      getting grief from the OS
>
>    - similarly you won't run into problems trying to write data
>      to a write protected floppy disk.
>
>Note that those last two effects are not just annoying but can in some
>circumstances lead to system crashes or having to reboot the machine
>to clear the errors.
>
>Now, if I haven't scared you off enough, the literal answer to your
>question is:
>
>    # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
>That has to be done as root: you'll need to install sudo or similar to
>make it possible for ordinary users to do that securely.  Always
>remember to unmount the disk before ejecting it.

I used to always had trouble remembering the proper syntax to mount the
floppy, so I made a little script that was easier to remember. It mounts
and runs a listing. -- you must have a "floppy" directory in /mnt. Just be
sure to have the floppy in the drive:

Here is "mountfloppy" script:

#!/bin/sh
# Floppy drive
/sbin/umount /mnt/floppy
/sbin/mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
cd /mnt/floppy
ls

Don't forget to umount /mnt/floppy.

I also made a similar script for the cdrom mount..... "mountcd"

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net