Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 03:44:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:
> >
> > > -Vince- stands accused of saying:

> > > There are a few of those around here too, but it's kinda hard to get
> > > realistic number off them, as they're rather busy most of the time.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, can a FreeBSD machine handle as big of a load as the Alpha?
>
> You seem to ask a lot of these types of questions, perhaps you should
> write 1 email message asking 20 of them, instead of creating these one
> and two at a time iterative question cycles :-)

	You do have a point but it's when the reply comes that I think of
something else to ask =)

> > > On what?  No reason why you can't have several GB of physical memory
> > > if you happen to want it.  There may not be any Intel PCI chipsets
> > > that support it (yet), but there's no hard law-of-physics limit
> > > that applies there; there are certainly plenty of GB+ memory
> > > machines kicking around.
> >
> > 	I mean on Intel PCI Chipsets since even ftp.cdrom.com only has
> > 128 megs of RAM and you need to use swap somehow even on servers since I
> > haven't really seen anyone with a server with more the 256 megs of memory
> > yet...
>
> Contact the Severs business unit of Intel Corporation, they can sell you
> Pentium based SMP boxes that can have up to 1G of physical memory, these
> are known as ``Extended Express'' series servers.
>
> Similiar products are avaliable from ALR, AST, NCR and a few others.  These
> are very expensive back room types of Pentium servers sporting things like
> ECC memory, set associative write back caches per CPU chip, vendor specific
> CPU/Memory backplanes with PCI/EISA peripheral buses.
>
> I believe a recent Unix Review had an article on the ALR box, it is one
> of the more cost effective server class machines around right now.
>
> The chipset used in the Extended Express products from Intel is OEM'ed to
> at least 4 companies (whom, due to NDA's I can not mention) that use them
> to build servers, though I have never seen these products on the open
> market.  The chipset itself can support 4G of physical address space,
> the 1G limit has been a memory density vs number of slots for memory
> cards tradeoff done by system designers.  I would suspect that with next
> years memory density increase these boxes will sport 4G memory capacities,
> but then, we will also have P6 next year in volume :-).

	I guess so but it seems like even though a P5 can address up to
4GB of memory, they should make motherboards support that much memory so
people can make their P5's power horses =)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center