Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 00:51:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        nash@mcs.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: Firewalling DNS TCP (was Re: IPFW bugs?)

It seems that Alex Nash said:
>    We suggest  that sites filter socket  53 (TCP)  to prevent domain name
>    service zone  transfers.  Permit access to socket  53  (TCP) only from
>    known secondary  domain  name servers.   This prevents  intruders from
>    gaining additional

I'm afraid I don't agree in theoria (sp?).

In practice, if you  really  want  to stop   people getting  your  internal
network, it is far easier to install a double DNS (private and public) than
trying to  restrict zone  transfert  with IP filtering.  You  would have to
insure that your secondaries also restrict zone transfert.

Example: almost  all .FR servers  in  France restrict zone  transfert. Just
take PRINCETON.EDU and do "dig axfr .FR." from it...

You can filter zone transfert directly from /etc/named.boot (xfrnets).

In  practice, if you're sure  no query can be of  more than 512 bytes, then
you can cut TCP/53. BUt IMO you don't gain that much.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #11: Thu Jun 13 11:01:47 MET DST 1996