Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:32:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerhard Sittig <G.Sittig@abo.FreiePresse.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isppp + dynamic IP

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Malte Lance wrote:

> On 25 Nov, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> >
> > [ ... "misconfigured" interface upon hangup since the
> >   address is assigned dynamically and so it's obsolete ... ]
>
> Hehe ... dynamic oscillating system ( ugghh... yet another DOS ;)
> With my changes the interface fall back to the initial configured
> local-IP-adr or any other explicitly given IP-adr. This was
> due to the dynamic-system-games i had to play with my firewall
> when the interface was changing it's local IP-adr on each dialup.
> After the line was hung up, my firewall-let-through-a-dialup-trigger-
> packet-rule was useless.

Don't get me wrong, please.  The frequency (if any) of this system
will be the frequency you hangup with and call "route" or something
without -n or trigger any other DNS query ...

And ipppd (in Linux, at least) gives you a mechanism for hooking
commands in when IPCP is done and the connection got hungup.  That's
where you can reset the interface to known settings, fiddle with the
routing, start / stop fetchmail demons / sendmail -q, and the like.
I consider this a feature :)  Of course this applies to static IP
addresses as well, but it is restricted to syncppp connections.  For
rawip connections there are other means.  But I guess ISDN under
FreeBSD will see the same problems as any other platform and there
will be (already are ?) similar solutions.

> Glad to hear that .... life could be soooo simple.

... if all the unices would be somewhat more close together instead
of being split even more than the few mainstream systems spread all
over ?  SCNR

G.Sittig@abo.FreiePresse.DE