Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2012 18:57:09 +0300
From:      Jeff Tipton <jeff.t@mail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xfburn and k3b on FreeBSD9.0-RELEASE can't find LITE-ON DVDRW

On 04/07/2012 09:13, Jeff Tipton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't get any GUI tool working with my LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S
> (IDE) on 9.0-RELEASE (packages and ports tree are in sync from the
> release date).
>
> atapicam is compiled in GENERIC kernel now, so no need for this module.
>
> I recompiled cdrtools, dvd+rw-tools, and hal.
>
> cdrecord works after that (tried to blank some CDs and burn some ISOs).
>
> But xfburn crashes:
> (process:6957): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg,
> optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
>
> (process:6957): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg,
> optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
> ** Message: Using Thunar-VFS 1.2.0
> ** Message: Using HAL
> xfburn: error sending CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> xfburn: error sending CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> xfburn: error sending CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> ** ERROR **: Device address does not lead to a burner '/dev/cd0' (ret=0).
> aborting...
>
> [1]    Abort                         xfburn (core dumped)
>
> Exactly the same result when run as root.
>
> k3b starts but shows a warning message in a popup window:
> No optical drive found.
> K3b did not find any optical device in your system.
> Solution: Make sure HAL daemon is running, it is used by K3b for
> finding devices.
>
> Of course, HAL is running.
>
> brasero starts ok and doesn't complain at all; it just doesn't show
> any devices.
>
> camcontrol devlist output:
>
> <SAMSUNG SP80A4H RT100-07>         at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
> <SAMSUNG HD400LD WQ100-15>         at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
> <LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S PS08>    at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass2)
>
> This is what I tried to set to make it work:
>
> /etc/devfs.conf:
> # CDROM
> own cd0 root:operator
> perm cd0 0660
>
> own     pass2      root:operator
> perm    pass2      0666
>
> own     xpt0       root:operator
> perm    xpt0       0666
>
> /etc/devfs.rules:
> [system=5]
> #CD/DVD
> add path 'cd*' mode 0666 group operator
> add path 'pass*' mode 0666 group operator
> add path 'xpt*' mode 0666 group operator
>
> /etc/rc.conf:
> devfs_system_ruleset="system"
>
> No CD-related entries in /etc/fstab.
> Added myself to the operator group.
> SUID flags:
> ll /usr/local/bin | grep cdr
> -rws--x---   1 root  operator    578088 Dec  3 02:30 cdrdao
> -rws--x---   1 root  operator    402768 Feb 22 15:33 cdrecord
> -rws--x---   1 root  operator    136428 Dec  3 10:08 cdrskin
>
> Permissions on /dev files:
> #ll /dev |grep cd
> crw-rw----  1 root    operator     0,  91 Apr  6 15:18 cd0
> [...]
Some news. I found out that xfburn depends on libburn, so I recompiled
libburn, too. Now xfburn seems to work (could blank a disk, write an ISO
image, write files to a disk).

As for k3b (which I would prefer), nothing changed. Only I found that
when I insert a disk before launching k3b, it finds the drive as
read-only. Now the popup window says:
No CD/DVD/BD writer found.
K3b did not find an optical writing device in your system. Thus, you
will not be able to burn CDs or DVDs. However, you can still use other
K3b features such as audio track extraction, audio transcoding or
ISO9660 image creation.

In Settings > Devices dialog, "Writers" are shown as "none", and
/dev/cd0 is under "Read-only Drives". There are blank squares against
"Vendor" and "Firmware", and "Error" against "Write Capabilities:".