Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:04:54 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TheRegister article on Hotmail

On Friday 22 November 2002 04:31 pm, Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:

> > I second that sentiment. I have FreeBSD at work and at home. Monday I had
> > to boot into Win2K at work for ten minutes to schedule a meeting via
> > Outlook Calendar. The rest of the week has been FreeBSD (and Solaris)
> > only. Yesterday at home I booted into Windows to watch the LOTR:TT
> > trailer on Quicktime. The rest of the week has been on FreeBSD.
>
> You can watch QT movies on FreeBSD using wine, it works just great. :)

How?!?

Everytime I've tried to use it I get an error about a bad installation (or
something to that effect). This occurs using the Windows install, and a
native FreeBSD install using WINE. I assume this is due to the registry. Does
the local WINE registry need certain permissions? Can I copy over the Windows
registry? Yada, yada, yada. It's not that big of a deal to me, or I would
have asked someone more knowledgable before now.

But this might be a good mini-article to write up for advocacy: how to run
that fussy Windows programs under FreeBSD.

David