Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2014 04:54:49 +0000
From:      Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo@Lucius.XxX>
To:        Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net>
Cc:        ?????? <mail.jiang.cn@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommend FreeBSD VPS

* Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net> [2014-02-18 13:48]:
> On 02/15/2014 08:23, =E6=9C=B1=E6=B1=9F wrote:
> > I'm looking for a cheap FreeBSD VPS, can you guys provide me some goo=
> > service provider? BTW, I currently in China and I hope the VPS should=
 have
> > low latency.
>=20
> I have had very good experience with RootBSD (http://www.rootbsd.net/).=
=20
> They are based in the United States but have a datacenter in Germany.=20
> Communication about scheduled maintenance is good.  Support for routine
> changes (such as DNS) has been consistently quick and accurate.  I have
> never needed to contact support for any problems, so I can't speak to
> that kind of support, but that does mean the VPS has been very reliable=
.

I wanted to actually talk about this habit most people have when
choosing their DNS providers. Most would probably take whatever their
registrar uses. And it works for most parts.=20

I never really thought too deep into until I actually moved initially to
CloudFlare (which are good) to DynDNS. I have noticed a real change in
terms of responsiveness. Anycast is ^really^ good to have. =20

I would highly recommend Dyn personally but there are others like
CloudFlare (Free) and AWS Route 53 (cheap enough).

There are merits to using CloudFlare actually. No wonder they have seen
a spike in their usage in the SMB market. Their web level firewall stuff
is pretty good and they recently also allowed TLS back to originating
servers. Now, I have noticed something I really cannot pin-point well
enough...when I moved to CloudFlare, the SEO ranking tools all dropped
for the sites. Moving away from CloudFlare to Dyn and CDN's to Fastly
have really made a difference in our case.

Although, I am quite actually impressed with Dyn's Traffic Manager. You
can route traffic in real time over CDN's for instance.=20

--=20

|     _o    _ |_)o_ _  _ =20
|_|_|(_||_|_> | \|/_/_(_) - Lucius.Tel
--------------------------------------
++ People (a group that in my opinion has always attracted an undue amoun=
t of ++
++ attention) have often been likened to snowflakes.  This analogy is mea=
nt to ++
++ suggest that each is unique -- no two alike.  This is quite patently n=
ot the ++
++ case.  People ... are simply a dime a dozen.  And, I hasten to add, th=
eir ++
++ only similarity to snowflakes resides in their invariable and lamentab=
le ++
++ tendency to turn, after a few warm days, to slush. ++
++                 		-- Fran Lebowitz, "Social Studies" ++