Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 14:22:45 -0400
From:      lray@aurora.liunet.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting up TCP/IP

I'm having trouble setting up tcp/ip correctly on my newly installed
system (FreeBSD 2.0.5). After getting an address from the network admin,
I edited the /etc/host file and included my network address, hostname
and alias, along with my nameserver's information. I then shutdown and
the system came up with the following errors:

ifconfig: localhost: bad value
writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add net 224.0.0.0: gateway my.address.edu: Network is unreachable
localhost: bad value
starting routing daemons: routedbind: Can't assign requested address.
starting network daemons: tickadj
syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address
 ntpdate portmap inetd.

Have I forgotten to edit any config files? Where do I specify a gateway
or netmask?

Thanks in advance
Ray