Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:47:51 -0500
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting Change In ssh Behavior

youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:

>>> I was just doing this as your email arrived.  This looks suspicious (!):
>>>
>>>              Remote: No xauth program; cannot forward with spoofing
>>>

>>> This is on an old 4.11 system updated to latest stable.  xauth does
>>> indeed exist in:
>>>
>>>          /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth
>>>

>>> Very strange ...
>>

>> And now .... the answer:
>>
>>   doing a 'strings sshd' returns the fact that it thinks (on this
>> latest build of 4.11-STABLE) that
>>   xauth lives in /bin !
>>
>>   I did an ln -s /usr/X11R6/..../xauth /bin/xauth  and everythingworks
>> again.
>>
>> So .. is this a bug or a new "feature" ?????
>
> The /usr/X11R6 search path was removed recently in CURRENT. Coincidence?
>
> -Garrett

Yabut this is 4.x - nothing is supposed to be changing ... or so I thought...

Besides, on 6.x with xorg 7.2, the new path is in /usr/local.

I dunno how it ended up looking in /bin.  I've written up a PR, but given the
unsupported status of 4.x, I doubt anyone will bother, especially given the simple
workaround...