Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 1997 16:44:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, james@nexis.net, ports@freebsd.org, rdm@cfcl.com
Subject:   Re: first cut of multiple architecture support

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.970606112009.23734B-100000@haldjas.folklore.ee> Narvi writes:
: Well, why not have ARCH & OPSYS defined in /etc/make.conf? Yes, I know, it
: is not the first time I suggest adding something to there... But at least
: theoretically they could be also used when FreeBSD moves to a non-intel
: architecture. One could in that way (at least theoretically) cross-build
: ports/packages for another architecure.

Because you are muddying the cross compilation waters.  You really
really really want to have a clear distinction between the host
environment (ARCH and OPSYS) and the target you are shooting for.  If
you are cross buiding, you'd want additional vars like TARGET_ARCH and
TARGET_OPSYS.

Warner