Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:52:58 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8-RC1: iwn0 suspend/resume issues

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:50:34PM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Scott Lambert wrote:
> > I did just notice:
> >
> > iwn0: Reg Domain: \M^?\M^?\M^?\M^?iwn0: iwn_mem_lock: could not lock memory
> >
> > Maybe I should set the regulatory domain?  But having just spent a few
> > minutes trying, it doesn't seem to be interested...
> >
> > lambert@slambert:~> sudo ifconfig wlan0 regdomain FCC
> > ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Device busy
>
> wlan0 is marked UP; you cannot set regulatory state unless the interface
> is down.
>
> > Exit 1
> > lambert@slambert:~> sudo ifconfig iwn0 regdomain FCC
> > ifconfig: unable to get regulatory domain info: Invalid argument
>
> iwn0 is the wrong interface to use; use wlan0

Ah, a little education is a dangerous thing.  Setting regdomain does not
give errors when I use wlan0 and it is configured down.

> Regarding regdomain stuff; AFAIK you cannot alter regulatory state of
> any intel wireless card; it will enforce whatever is in the EEPROM.
> Can't recall if the driver pushes EEPROM state up to net80211; if
> not then it should and it should also reject all requests to change
> regulatory until there's fw that supports it.

It did let me set country to jp and regdomain to JAPAN while playing.
That may not mean much.  The iwn driver is confused right now because it
has been through a suspend and resume cycle.

Thank you, Sam!

lambert@lambertfam.org