Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:04:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        "Orville R. Weyrich.Jr" <orville@weyrich.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing problem

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Orville R. Weyrich.Jr wrote:

> This is a general Internet problem that doesn't directly involve BSD, but
> hopefully I can get some answer.  My local machine (smtp.ameriroots.com)
> cannot route to another specific machine on the Internet
> (gopws.com).  However, if I telnet to a third machine on the
> Internet (smtp.ameriroots.com to goodnet.com) I can then telnet to the
> desired destination (goodnet.com to gopws.com).  This work-around
> does not help trying to access web pages from
> smtp.ameriroots.com to gopws.com.

	I'm assuming you can get to other sites from your machine.

	How about hitting other machines within the same (/24 or
	bigger) network that is unreachable from your machine?

	There could be several things that could be wrong:

	- It could be a	routing problem on the network that the gopws.com machine sits on.

		  -- Talk with them on the phone.  Have them see if they
		traceroute to your host, etc,etc.

	- This could be a BGP problem with your upstream(s) or your
	upstream's BGP peering points.

		 -- Call your upstreams and explain what is happening.

	- It could be a problem with your network.

		 --Make sure you can reach other sites and traceroute to see what
		 network they reside on.  Make sure Tunneling/NAT, etc are
		configured right.

	It is probably something typed in Wrong in your upstream's BGP
	config.

	Good Luck.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.