Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 05:17:53 -0700
From:      Eblan Y Farris <eyfarris@gdwest.gd.com>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, dem@comdyn.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS or TYAN or SUPERMICRO ???

On Thu, 30 May 1996, David Mikov wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>       I'm currently trying to decide between several motherboards
>       which use the Intel Triton 2 chipset to run FreeBSD 2.1:
>
>               ASUS P/I-P55T2P4        (Intel 430HX PCIset)
>               TYAN Tomcat I (S1562)   (Intel 430HX Chipset)
>               SUPERMICRO P55T2S       (Intel 430HX PCIset)
>

>From strictly a manufacturer point of view and not
this motherboard against that motherboard - the
ASUS is far and above ALWAYS a better choice than
the two listed.

Gigabyte is also in the same league as ASUS.

We have dealt with both Tyan and Supermicro products,
the philosophy they follow is different than the
one Asus and Gigabyte follow.

Gigabyte thinks that if a board is introduced too
soon - and compatability problems are found - then
its reputation will be at stake - and that is
bad for future business. Asus also thinks this way,
but not as much as Gigabyte.  Both manufacturers
thoroughly test thier products.

The other two - think that the vantage point is
being the first on the block to get the product
introduced.

There is a difference and it shows up in the product.

Eb Farris	http://www.surfusa.com/surf/mall.html
efarris@surfusa.com

Check out website for Motherboards / Systems
BTW, the above is my opinion based on my experience :-)