Date:      Sat, 6 May 1995 00:00:43 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, fn@trinity.radio-do.de
Cc:        archive@cps.cmich.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jim@reptiles.org
Subject:   Re: AST 4 port, pppd and FreeBSD 2.0--950412-SNAP

>This is what I use in my kernel config

>options		"COM_MULTIPORT"		#Multiport support in sys/isa/sio.c
>device		sio5	at isa? port 0x1b8 tty irq 9 flags 0x501 vector siointr
>device		sio4	at isa? port 0x1b0 tty flags 0x501 vector siointr

Specifying a vector without specifying an interrupt used not to make any
sense.  However, now userconfig (booting with -c) allows you to change the
irq and not the vector, it's safest to always specify an irq.

>    >> And is there a way to put all four of the AST cards into one
>    >> machine???

>My AST clone has only two IO address spaces low as above and a high space
>with 0x2a0, 0x2a8, 0x2b0 and 0x2b8. If your cards has more than this
>two it is possible as long as there are 4 irq lines available.

I checked the docs for a standard AST 4port (actually a 1986 Async Cluster
Adapter).  It has the same limitation on addresses, except it allows the
first two ports to be at the standard COM1-2 addresses.  It allows plenty
of interrupts (IRQ2-7).

Bruce