Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:22:45 +0000
From:      beni <beni@brinckman.info>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does 8.2 support USB 3.0?

--nextPart1694795.W3ionez3mM

On Monday 18 July 2011 21:53:36 Dennis Glatting wrote:
> Sounds like a stupid question to me but I have three motherboards that
> aren't happy with USB 3.0 regardless of settings, including:
>=20
> * Gigabyte EX58-UD5,
> * ASUS Rampage III Extreme, and
> * ASUS Crosshair V Formula.
>=20
> "Happy" means a variety of things:
>=20
>   * Sometimes it doesn't like my USB 3.0 sticks,
>   * Sometimes it doesn't like my USB 2.0 sticks plugged
>     into a 3.0 slot, and
>   * Sometimes it does and does not like my mouse or
>     keyboard plugged into the port.
>=20
> On the keyboard front, my Crosshair sees the keyboard before I start kdm4
> but ignores input once started. However, if I hit Ctl-Alt-F1 the usual
> thing happens. It refuses to aknowledge the mouse but I haven't yet tried
> another.
>=20
> On the Gigabyte and the Crosshair I have ahci loaded, which works BTW.
> However, any problem with the Gigabyte precedes ahci.
>=20

I have a Technaxx usb 3.0 pci-e card that uses the Nec chipset and it works=
=20
perfectly with the xhci.ko driver here :

kldstat -vvv | grep xhci
                308 xhci/usbus
38    1 0xffffffff82101000 10e28    xhci.ko (/boot/kernel/xhci.ko)
                46 pci/xhci

dmesg -a | grep xhci
xhci0: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xfbefe000-0xfbefffff irq 19=
 at=20
device 0.0 on pci4
xhci0: [ITHREAD]
usbus1 on xhci0

I'm running :
uname -a
=46reeBSD bsdaddict 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #7: Wed Feb 16 13:33:10=
 PST=20
2011     root@build8x64.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/pcbsd-build82/fbsd-
source/8.2/sys/PCBSD  amd64

Hope this helps,