Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:40:14 -0000
From:      g8kbvdave@googlemail.com
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PCBSD 9.1 x64, unable to successfully boot the install DVD

Hi.

After a couple of hours to download the full install DVD .iso image (checksums
verified etc) and burnt to a DVD (and verified) OK.

Tried to install it on a HP Pavilon dv6000 Laptop, suitably prep'd with a 60+
spare primary partition.  (2G RAM, AMD Turion 64 bit dual core CPU,
Memtest86+ test passed too.)

The DVD boots, but only to the first boot option menu, then whatever option
you select after (Except hitting the space to pause, that doesnt want to
un-pause!)  The PC sudenly switches off, and restarts shortly after selecting an
option.

I've seen this with laptops from many makers in the past when trying to run
bootable diagnostic tools, and I've never found any PC where you could disable
such systems in the bios setup dialogs.

The HP site for this machine is badly mullered too, with dead links and a
seeming inability to search for anything even remotely sensible.

Sorry, but unable to get any diagnostic dumps etc, or any other info, as the
machine just refuses to do anything with this disk, other than get stuck into a
very long duration boot/restart loop.

I would try a 32 bit version (it's orignal OS was Vista 32 bit) but I cant for the
life of me find the 32 bit version of 9.1 on the download site or servers.

Any hints?

Oh.  The DSDT debugging resourse link on the handbook page, goes to a site
full of Russian text!  Not usefull at all.  Unless one reads Russian crylic text,
that I don't, using google translate results in something readable, but doesn't
relate to this problem at this level.

Pity, I'd like to have tried PCBSD.  If its anyway near as stable as FreeBSD in
general, I'd be happy.

Dave B.
(Long time BSD 8 user for a local server, and Nas4Free, among other things.)