Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:29:15 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: XFree86 4.3.0 update (probably solved)

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

If memory serves me right, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > I've committed the update of XFree86 to 4.3.0 to ports.  I think I've
> > cleaned up after my mess at this point, but there may still be issues.=
=20
> > Please report to me if you have any problems with the new ports or any
> > issues with XFree86 that you didn't have in 4.2.0.
>=20
> I seem to have done Something Bad (TM) during my attempt to upgrade
> XFree86.  I used portupgrade to upgrade imake and the various XFree86*
> ports on my 4-STABLE system (rebuilt around 3 March).
>=20
> Basically, when I fire up the server, my keyboard doesn't work (very
> well, anyways).  The numeric keypad works, but none of the other keys
> seem to do anything; I can't even switch to another VTY.  I've
> appended the stderr output at the bottom of this message.

Update here: I was able to more easily recreate the problem by running
xkbcomp on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compat/xfree86 and observing the
warning messages (similar to my prior message).  This is good since I
won't have physical access to the system in question until Monday.

I ended up blowing away all of the XFree86 ports from the system and
reinstalling everything from the meta-port.  The warnings from xkbcomp
went away, so I have this warm fuzzy feeling that when I get to my
workstation, everything will be fine.  (In the meantime, my T21
upgraded successfully with portupgrade.)

Bruce.

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--