Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 14:26:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   BRIDGE breaks ARP?

I'm running -STABLE (cvsup'ed on 26jan2001) on a machine with the
BRIDGE option, bridging between two PCI NICs (rl0 and xl0).

I'm having ARP problems.  Machines on the "rl0" card are unable to
get a hardware address for the bridge.  (For whatever reason, I have
no problems talking via the "xl0" interface.)

I've done "tcpdump" on the bridge, and it's receiving ARP queries on
the "rl0" interface, but it doesn't appear to be sending replies.  I
did a "tcpdump" on the "xl0" interface too, just in case ARP replies
were going out over the wrong interface, but no such luck.

If I turn off bridging (sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=0), the ARP
problem quickly resolves itself.  So the problem would seem to be
related somehow to the bridge code.

I can sidestep the problem by using "arp -s" commands on the other
machines to tell them the bridge's hardware address -- but I really
shouldn't have to do this.

Any ideas?

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/