Date:      08 Jun 1999 20:42:09 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        rezidew@rezidew.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix, AMD, Intel

[redirected from -chat to -questions]

rezidew@rezidew.net writes:
> I have just bought two (new?) machines.
>
> one is a AMD-K62 (350)
> the other is a Cyrix MII (366)
>
> I have several questions...
>
> #1) how should I compile my kernel 'i[3456]86'?

The following should run on both:

machine		i386
cpu		I586_CPU
cpu		I686_CPU

> #2) when I boot up the AMD with freebsd it's
>     detected as a 586 running at some where around
>     356.22MHz. Why only 586?

Why not? The K6-2 is a Pentium clone, even if it runs at PII speeds.
Here's a snippet from dmesg on one of my boxen:

CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (350.80-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>

> #3) when I boot up the Cyrix with OpenBSD it's
>     detected as a 686 running at 251.36Mhz.
>     should I expect the same with FreeBSD? why
>     does this happen? is there something wrong
>     with the processor?

Yes: it was made by Cyrix.

> #4) I have a Dual Processor Pentium-Pro-200.
>     If I compile in SMP for that machine,
>     on which of the three machines should I
>     expect to see the best performance? (all
>     things being equal)

The best performance doing what?

DES
--