Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:50:18 GMT
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/94896: Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?

The following reply was made to PR amd64/94896; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To: hhc@tut.by
Cc: freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.ORG, bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:42:03 +0100 (CET)

 Andrei <hhc@tut.by> wrote:

  > > Number:         94896
  > > Category:       amd64
  > > Synopsis:       Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?
  > > Confidential:   no
  > > Severity:       serious
  > Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel?

 It's not possible to support it.

  > Why "options VESA" not worked  for AMD64?

 Because FreeBSD/amd64 cannot perform calls to the VESA BIOS
 functions (which are 32bit i386 code, not amd64).

  > How make videomode 1280x1024 or another?

 I recommend you use Xorg for that.  Otherwise, if you
 absolutely need VESA modes, you have to install 32bit
 FreeBSD/i386.

  > Why only one mode 80x25 available?

 Actually I think 80x50 should be possible with vidcontrol(1),
 which is a standard mode that does not require VESA BIOS.

 Best regards
    Oliver

 "To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
 just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
         -- Peter van der Linden