Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 16:51:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      hirsh@skypoint.com (Roger P Johnson)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'read error' after 2.2.1 install job

Hi, here is my situation:

   After installing 2.2.1 from Walnut Creek CDROM, I cannot boot from the
hard disk. All I get is 'read error'.

   System specs:
       DEC Venturis FX-5133  16MB, fd
       Adaptec AHA-2940AU      (Ultra)  (DOS translation >1GB enabled)
       Seagate SCSI ST31055N   (supposedly Ultra)
       Phillips SCSI 4Plex CD-ROM (Internal)
       FreeBSD 2.2.1 Walnut Creek CD-ROM

   I have tried various installs on this, from accepting the default geometry,
changing the geometry per FAQ/Handbook, doing true partioning and also
leaving it as compatable partitions, and finally a low level format of the
SCSI disk, default recomended geometry, and dedicating the whole disk to
FreeBSD. (Currently Utra speed is enabled, I've tried disable too).

   I can boot from the hard disk only if I boot from floppy, and then
specify 0:sd(0,a)/kernel at the 'Boot' prompt.

   Then the system then functions and operates normally.

   After reading through other postings here, I have seen and tried these
to install the bootstrap code onto the HD after up and running:

        # disklabel -B sd0         (no luck in the next reboot)
   and
        # disklabel -B /dev/rsd0a  (no luck either)

    Ugh! Please, any comments from anyone having go through this?

    I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.5 on about 4 machines upto this point
with out any hitches.

    Here's a kicker too: In this same machine I have tried using the
AHA-2940 (Fast SCSI-2) and Seagate ST31051N (Fast SCSI-2) installing one time
FreeBSD 2.1.5, booting and getting 'read error'. Then since this setup
didn't work, I tried installing FreeBSD 2.2.1 using this same controller
and hard disk. Same problem: read error. But both work if you boot off
the floppy first!

    I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

     Thanks
       Roger