Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:54:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   CPUT_WT_ALLOC_DISABLE

  Does anyone want a CPU_WT_ALLOC_DISABLE and CPU_WT_ALLOC_ENABLE as separate
options? I see a couple changes that should be made to the kernel now:

CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (300.69-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>

  There should be another line, formatted the same, that ALWAYS reports
CPU_WT_ALLOC info. This will help in debugging problems with certain hardware,
because on K6-2's I get unreliability with write allocation on. For instance,
I updated my BIOS lately and observed a crash. On boot -v, I noted that
the BIOS was kind enough to turn on write allocation, but on a CPU that it
doesn't seem to work well on.
  I propose an option to turn OFF write allocation instead of just one to turn
it on. I also propose the change in CPU info printouts to (more correct spacing
and extra line):

CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (300.69-MHz 586-like CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
  Features = 0x8021bf <FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
  Write Allocation: Disabled   15-16M Caching Enable: No

  The changes would be better spacing, a write allocation line (for whatever
CPUs are supported, notably the K5, K6, K6-[23]), and changing "class" to
the more sensible "like" (i.e. a K6 really is 686-class, but being socket 7
is 586-like).

Comments?

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \