Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:33:15 +0200
From:      Ronny Mandal <ronnyma@volatile.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0 w/ACPI enabled, excluding NICs

On 13.07.2012 15:52, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> I am running a small personal file server. To ensure constant network
>> access, had to disable the ACPI, hence no power saving at all. The CPU
>
> why you "had to" disable ACPI. i never ever seen network problems with
> ACPI. basically it works, or it doesn't at all.

When the server is idle with ACPI enabled, it did not respond to ping
after a short period. With ACPI disabled, this was alleviated. So,
basically, it will stop working after a while. My guess is that ACPI
will shut down the power for the NIC. But that is only a guess.
Furthermore, when ACPI is disabled, no network problem arises. This
suggests, at least to me, that ACPI is somehow involved.

>> gets very warm as everything (presumably) is running at full throttle.
>> Is there any way to disable the ACPI partially, i.e. allow spin-down
>> for disks etc, but keep the NICs running?
>
> This is IMHO not about FreeBSD support of ACPI but possible BIOS
> settings that turn on some kind of hibernation.
Each and every power saving function in the BIOS is disabled.
Nevertheless, I believe that a selective ACPI configuration should
resolve this issue,