Date:      Mon, 15 May 95 15:15:28 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/407: Odd tset -I behaviour, termcap says xterm kb=^H

> > Of course, this isn't recommended, since in principle, the key should
> > send the ASCII kvalue that its keycap label implies it sends.
>
> Of course, not all keyboards are the same.  My LK-401 has a keycap
> labeled
>    ___
>   / X|
>   \__|
>
> and I defy you to state definitively that this symbol implies any
> ASCII code at all.  DEC being typically obnoxious decided to make it
> send BS; I use this magic to make it send something sensible:
>
> xmodmap - << EOF
> keysym BackSpace = Delete
> # more stuff goes here
> EOF

Serves you right for buying a DEC keyboard... must be hooked to a PC.
I always thought that symbol was a registered trademark of DEC or
something.  8-)  8-).

I'll add a rider that keys labelled with something other than ASCII codes
or control code names (with the exception of space) send whatever the
heck their manuals say they send.

Otherwise, I think you are morally obligated to make the key send
nothing at all unless the previous character is an 'X'.

Or you could make it shift all 'X' characters on the screen left one.

Then you could print out the message "NOW are you sorry you bought a
wierd keyboard?".

Probably the "Microsoft Natural" ought to send the same message for its
little "Windows" keys... or start Windows or something.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.