Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2010 19:56:19 +0200
From:      Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, nathan@vidican.com
Subject:   Re: Is it a good idea to use DHCP for point to point connections ?

Le 14/10/2010 16:33, Nathan Vidican a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Jerome Herman<jherman@dichotomia.fr>wrote:
>

>> Le 13/10/2010 22:25, Elliot Finley a écrit :
>>
>>   we did this with DSL customers.  But instead of using a unique gateway for
>>
>>> each Client, just use IP Unnumbered and proxy arp for your loopback
>>> interface.
>>>

>> I was about to say that this solution seemed extremely sensitive to
>> spoofing. But I figured out that my solution was not necessarily better.
>> Looks like I will have to go for hardware solution after all...
>> I am currently checking on Cisco private vlan system. But I am not a big
>> fan of Cisco (Well to be perfectly honest I love the hardware...). Does
>> anyone know of an alternative ?
>>
>> Jerome Herman
>>

>>   On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Jerome Herman<jherman@dichotomia.fr

> Around here (Ontario, Canada) - almost all DSL providers use PPPoE... just a
> thought, but might be a lot easier.

It is indeed a lot easier. Unfortunatly it cannot be used in this case.
Basically it is an hotel that is already wired in CAT.6. We ant the
clients to be able to connect through wire without resorting to routers
or DSL modem, with just DHCP set up.
The hotel is composed of 33 small residences connected with fiber. The
idea is to avoid the part where we buy 33 layer3 switches at 3000$ a piece.

  Jerome Herman