Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:11:19 +0200
From:      "HEITMEIER, MICHAEL (HP-Germany,ex1)" <michael_heitmeier@bbn.exch.hp.com>
To:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mp3 encoding under FreeBSD

One of my next projects is to get more into creating mp3 files from my CDs.

I would be interested in somebody else's experience as I have seen many
mails on -questions that deal with the problems of getting this to work. I
have a IDE CD-ROM drive that supports CDA but I ran into problems that there
were massive drop-outs in the .wav file, another program produced a .cda
file (that seems to be unrecognised by pretty much everything), encoding
took forever compared to NT...
So it's a jungle out there and I'm hoping some fellow newbie has mastered
this stage and has not forgotten that there was a time when he was learning,
too.

So any tips what applications work well to rip and encode (I used bladeenc
under Win with good success, does it deliver the same quality under
FreeBSD?) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Michael