Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:33:55 -0500
From:      zep <zgreenfelder@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Graphical Linux app on FreeBSD

On 02/19/2015 01:52 PM, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to run a Linux binary on my FreeBSD system using the Linux
> compatibility layer. This is a GUI application. I tried to run it as
> regular user and as root, but each time I encounter different error
> message:
>
> $ ./the_linux_binary
> XOpenIM() failed
I'd suggest getting strace (or truss, or whatever the right system call
tracing utility should be used) on the binary and see what/where it's
actually failing.

> Abort (core dumped)
> $ su
> Password:
> root@mypc:/home/toomas/tmp # ./the_linux_binary
> No protocol specified
> Can't open display: :0.0

clearly this is a display problem; you could do something like setup ssh
keys to allow root (or live more dangerously and login directly as root)
and use ssh -X to have the display set [or dig into what you'd need to
do to open up your xwindow security - e.g. xhost + before su]

I dunno about the rest of what you're trying show, just a couple
suggestions for finding more places to dig in/work around your existing
woes.

--=20
public gpg key id: AE60F64C