Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 19:14:35 -0500
From:      Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.lets.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic on boot with 4G RAM

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:01:28PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Steve Shorter wrote:
> >         I need an NFS server with 4G ram. When I boot a 4.5-PRE kernel
> > it panics during the boot process, not always at the same place though.
> > My first instinct is bad hardware because of the lack of consistency
> > in panic location, however I was wondering if there were some issues
> > with kernel tuning for machines with large memory that I should be aware of.
> > This machine boots OK with 3G or less.
>
> You really need to change the allocation of swap page descriptors
> in /sys/i386/machdep.c (among other things).

	Is this a trivial change? I don't know much about
FreeBSD kernel internals but can edit source with some guidance OR
can these changes be effected in the kernel config?

	How about changing NKPT in sys/i386/include/pmap.h to
something bigger? .. like 60?

	What "other things" should be done to tune a high memory
machine, or to get it to boot.

> I personally suggest compiling your kernel with 3G KVA/1G User,
> instead of the default of 1G KVA/3G User.

	Ok. This can be done with

options		KVA_PAGES=768

	What about the other KVA stuff in kernel config

options		VM_BCACHE_SIZE_MAX=

	The comments in LINT mention that this is capped at 260M
"effecting > 1G of ram". Should this be increased with machines with 4G?

	thanx - steve