Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 21:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        username <mattox@csd.uwm.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ???

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, username wrote:

> I presently have two hard drives.  Both are Western Digital Caviar
> drives.  The original drive (c:\) is a 200MB drive that presently has
> MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1 installed with approximately 29MB free space
> left.  I just have installed the second drive (slave) which is a 1.6GB
> drive.  I have used fdisk on the second drive creating a 600MB primary
> dos partition and a 600MB dos extended parition.  BTW I do not know or
> understand if this is what I should be doing...  I also made these two
> partitions d:\ and e:\ drives.  My intent was to partition the 1.6MB
> drive so I could run dos/windows applications and install FreeBSD.
> My original thought was I would partition the second drive into three
> sections thus reducing cluster sizes when writing files.  Two partitions
> for dos/windows (d:\ and e:\) and the remaining 4MB area for BSD.
> Again, I do not know if this is a proper and logical approach or not.
> Is this a reasonable approach or is there a better one I should
> consider?

FOUR megabytes of unallocated space, or did you mean FOUR HUNDRED megs?

FreeBSD requires 4MB of _RAM_, and about 100MB of _hard_disk_space_.

The only major problem would be the 1024 cylinder limitation.  I would
suggest saving the space you are allocating to FreeBSD at the *front* of
the disk, and place the DOS slices behind that.  (Install FreeBSD first,
then make the DOS partitions)  The 1024 cylinder limitation will not allow
you to boot partitions that extend beyond 1024 cylinders, approximately
504MB.  YOu should be OK to use a 600MB slice since the boot portion of
the partition will be well below the limitation.

> Second question--if what I have done is reasonable and one of the better
> ways to partition the drive how do I access the 4MB area beyond the E:\
> drive?  How do install BSD in this unamed area?

The install procedure will take care of it.